Company Founder & CEO
As a parent of young children, I increasingly felt barriers in participating in social and professional events because of lack of childcare. There were solutions that existed in other states and even countries but nothing in the Triangle and very little in North Carolina.
Solution & Impact
When I was a child being raised on an air force base, I remember enjoying going to drop-in childcare while my parents went on dates that were not too far away. I thought of this as a viable solution for my problem and what I discovered was a problem for many others.
I conducted market research including contacting current providers across the country. I created a business plan to understand the mission, vision, and operations of the company, and ultimately incorporated it in the state of NC as Fun Spaces Inc once I saw it as a viable idea.
Fun Spaces provided on-site childcare and programming during special events and meetings with fun, safe caregivers, and age-appropriate, engaging play activities. We offered the convenience of being at the event venue and entertaining children while their parents “play” in another room.
I developed the website as a primary means for leads to contact the company and it worked. Eventually, I hired staff to support the increased event sizes. This included conducting interviews, background & reference checks, and onboarding if they were selected. I paid a living wage and was certified with the Durham Living Wage Project.
- Created play programming for children of different age blocks in accordance with event theme
- Developed products to promote the mission of play for all
- Built out pacesetting 10-person contract team to offer exceptional care and focus on client success
- Certified with the Durham Living Wage Project
- Interviewed candidates and hired staff who fit company culture to support larger events
- Launched social media campaigns on business pages at Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Successfully held events at Treyburne Country Club, Chapel Hill Country Club, Carolina Inn, Kenan-Flagler Business School (UNC), Fuqua School of Business (Duke) and The Carolina Club
- Implemented heavily-researched pricing, value proposition and messaging to launch and market products and services that realized approximately 7% upturn in year-over-year sales despite competition.
- Leverage various marketing channels to increase brand presence, including social media and printed collateral.
- Founder & CEO
- General Management
- Human Resources
- Finance Director
- Sales & Marketing Director
- Content Development
- Community Engagement
Methodology & Tools: As an entrepreneur, I had leeway for how to operate the company. I certainly created a brand identity as a place I would want to work for and had no problem selling. I increased my skills as a general manager and used the following tools to support this venture: WordPress, Wave Apps, Google Suite, Canva, Cognito Forms as well as a business coach and networking forums in Chapel Hill, Durham, and RTP.
Thank you for your help. The kids didn’t want to leave.
— Common sentiment of satisfied parents